Social media has the power to change the world. People can connect around the world in ways that were never possible before. Geography is no longer a barrier to meaningful relationships and individuals everywhere now have the power to share their voice with the world.
We would like your help to put this power into action. With a few moments of your time you can help take a step towards planting millions of trees in endangered rainforest regions and providing a powerful example of social media in action in the process.
First, please watch this machinima video, filmed at Second Chance Trees Island:
As explained in the video, our non-profit partner Plant It 2020 has been chosen as the fulfilling organization for one of the 50 finalists in the American Express Members Project, with a first prize of $5 million up for grabs. If successful, the
Second Chance Trees project would be able to plant millions of trees in endangered rainforest regions throughout the world.
Here’s the trick: We only have until this Sunday July 15 to get as many votes as possible in order to make it to the final 25. We’ve got a long way to go at the moment so each and every vote is extremely valuable. Time is of the essence – so please help us now!
Second Chance Trees is the only Members Project finalist based in Second Life. It is also the only finalist with a strong social media focus. By supporting Second Chance Trees you can not only help to plant millions of trees, you also make a statement for the power of social media. We are using social media to promote our social media cause – if successful, this would form a powerful demonstrative example of the power of social media to create positive societal change.
How You Can Help
Most importantly, you can help by voting for the Virtual Forests Project. If you are a US-based American Express cardholder please click here to register and vote.
(Note: Please follow the direct link above and be sure to vote for the ‘Virtual Forest Project. One Million Trees. Easy.‘ concept. There is a similar initiative on the site that has been confusing some people)
Once you have voted, you can lend your support using all the social media tools at your disposal:
- Share the machinima video – embed it on your blog or social network page or email it to a friend
- Blog about it – You can get more information from our social media release or by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit Second Chance Trees Island in Second Life and plant your own tree
- Embed the Members Project widgets on your blog or social network page
- Add Second Chance Trees as a friend in Flickr or MySpace
- Tell your friends wherever they may be – Facebook, Twitter or any of the other myriad social media venues out there
- Remember email – we’ve all got friends who are yet to climb aboard the social media bandwagon, send them an email pointing out the project and they might get enthused!
- Learn more at the Second Chance Trees website
Please leave a comment below letting us know how you’ve supported Second Chance Trees and it will be our pleasure to plant a tree in the honor of each and every one of you.